Fluoride is a mineral that is found naturally in the water we drink and the food we eat on a daily basis. It plays an essential role in the protection of our teeth as it strengthens tooth enamel, this is why it is highly recommended to use fluoride toothpaste when brushing your teeth both morning and night. Unfortunately, many people still refuse to use anything fluoridated and they continue to believe that fluoride has many negative effects on our health.
When it comes to the role of fluoride, there is still a range of myths that surround it and its effect on our teeth – it’s time to debunk them.
- Fluoride can cause allergies, cancer and other conditions such as arthritis. This is false as fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in water and there has been no proven link to fluoride causing the aforementioned conditions.
- Fluoride is harmful to children. This is false and quite the opposite as children need fluoride to protect their teeth in their development. In actual fact, at times fluoride supplements are prescribed to children to ensure they get the right level of dietary exposure to the mineral.
- Fluoride doesn’t actually reduce tooth decay. This is false as the use of fluoride is backed and supported by decades of research into the benefit of fluoride in preventing tooth decay. Tooth enamel is protected by fluoride and made more resistant to any acid exposure, so it’s essential!
- Research has continuously confirmed that water containing fluoride is safe to drink and does not cause any negative effects on our health.
- The inclusion of fluoride results in good overall oral health, in combination with daily oral care and a balanced, healthy diet.
- Fluoride occurs naturally in water, but not at levels high enough to provide protection to our teeth – this is amped up by using fluoride toothpaste.
For good oral care, floss daily and brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste to ensure a protected and looked-after smile. If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to schedule an appointment with us today and let us put your mind at ease with the best care.